It all started with peeling garlic. My meditation this morning. That led to seeing the tomatoes, the red bell peppers, walnuts and the food processor came out. The peppers were charred. Sesame seeds and coriander was pounded and ground. The pickled dates and amla ( Indian gooseberry) were acknowledged. All this resulted in a beautiful paste/ dip.
Tomatoes, charred peppers,sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds,ground white sesame seeds, ground fenugreek seeds, ground coriander seeds,pickled dates and amla, garlic and lime. I added a few walnuts later.All tastes were balanced from the ingredients.
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 large red bell peppers, charred over open flame
- 1/2 cup sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons ground sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground fenugreek seeds( optional)
- 3 tablespoons ground coriander seeds
- 1 cup pickled dates and amla( vinegar - spice pickle aged 90 days)
- 6-8 large garlic cloves
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts( not in picture)
- All ingredients except the lime was processed together to a fine paste. I like the gritty texture and feel. if you want a smooth paste, soak nuts, seeds and ground spices in 1/2 cup water for at least 30 minutes and grind in a high power blender.
- Finish paste with lime juice.
Note: This required no added salt but you can definitely season to your taste .
This yielded 3 1/4 cups approximately.