As the Spice Whisperer incarnation, spice blends have become the heart and soul of my everyday cooking. While some blends are purely regional the ones that I currently focus on are the No LabelNoBorders. These simply honor the seasons, reasons and balance of taste and flavor!
A simple Summer blend inspired last week :
2 Tablespoons fennel powder
3 Tablespoons coriander powder, lightly toasted
1 Tablespoon fenugreek powder
1 Tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves, crushed
1 Tablespoon dried mint leaves, crushed
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoon cardamom powder
2 Tablespoons amla powder ( indian gooseberry)
1 Tablespoon dried rose petals, crushed
1 Tablespoon hibiscus powder
1 Tablespoon turmeric powder
- Mix well in a bowl
- Store in a glass, airtight container, away from direct sunlight
- Best used within four months.
Some tips of using it :
- Use it as a Taco seasoning or in equal parts with your taco mix.
- Add 1 teaspoon to a cup of your vinaigrette.
- Use it as a grilling rub or inspire your rub by adding a dash of this to it.
- Use it in your vegetables when sautéing them or roasting .
- Make a marinade with a dash of vinegar or lime juice for your meat, chicken , tempeh or tofu.