Sagging boobs, miles of wrinkles and stretch marks are my testament to years of nurturing and learning! With THANKS to my mother, and her mother before her, and her mother before her and all the mothers before them, for this true gift. She is my source ! With utter surety her hand guided me on this path and journey. With love and grateful humbleness I wish all A Happy Mother's Day !
I dedicate the basic food of Punjab.....the roti, an unleavened flatbread, to this Mother's day. My mum still enjoys this with a dollop of freshly churned butter, a pinch of salt and a few chili flakes !
Whole wheat rotis
2 cups whole wheat flour ( my favorite is from Community Grains communitygrains.com )
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water ( or more) for a smooth but wet dough
- Knead the dough. Cover and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Portion the dough into 6 to 8 balls and roll them into medium to thin circles ( about 6 inches circle)
- Place a griddle on medium high heat. When hot place a rolled out roti on the griddle.
- Let cook for a minute or so, then flip to the other side. Lift after about 2 minutes to see tiny brown spots.
- Now turn over and with a wadded tea towel, gently press to puff up the roti.
- Remove from heat , smear with a touch of butter or ghee and eat ! ENJOY !