Risotto is a wonderful side dish for chicken, porkchops, grilled fish or a pot of lentils. And amaranth is a tasty and nutritious grain, with higher protein and fiber than the traditionally used arborio rice. Thus, this is a great spicy and gluten free version that will hit the spot at your dinner table.
- 2 cups Amaranth
- 6 cups water or stock of choice
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 3 cups lightly steamed broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add a dash more or less, depending on your heat preference)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts*
- In a large saucepan, bring liquid to a boil. Add the amaranth, spices and salt. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes. Be sure to stir at least twice during this time to make sure the amaranth does not stick to the bottom.
- Toast the pine nuts, lightly. You can dry toast them on low heat in a pan or in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit .
- Once the amaranth is done, add the spinach, cheese and broccoli. You'll know it's done because the liquid will be absorbed and the grains will be tender and chewy.
- Serve hot in a bowl and top with the pine nuts.